Wednesday 24 January 2018

My Most Anticipated Games of 2018


There are plenty of great JRPGs, WRPGs and adventure games slated to come out this year. I'm going to list off the ones I'm personally anticipating the most, and why.

Zwei: The Arges Adventure (Steam & GOG)


Hnnngh, so close to release! No pre-order XSEED? Y tho? Day One purchase for me, though, given my love for its sequel, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection. The graphical style looks even MORE charming, the characters look even funnier, and XSEED are really going the extra mile to integrate and in some cases even improve on the little mini games and apps within the game. Buy this. Do eet.

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Steam)

Yes, I know, NISA dun goofed with this, particularly when it comes to the PC release, but even they can't ruin what looks like another grand action RPG from Falcom - right? I loved Ys VII and what I played of Ys Origin, so NISA's fuckery hasn't killed my hype for this game just yet.



The Wolf Among Us: Season 2 (PC?)

I don't know much about this, but what I DO know is that I absolutely adored the first season of The Wolf Among Us (and not only because Mr Bigby Wolf is pretty hawt). The first season brilliantly adapted the characters of Fabletown and replicated the vibe of the half fairytale, half urbanised city in game form pretty much perfectly,while giving alternately tragic and hilarious backstory to Bigby and Snow White, amongst many other characters.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (Nintendo 3DS)

This was pretty much my jumping off point into the darkly weird and wonderful SMT franchise when it originally released for the Nintendo DS, and goodness what a jumping point! Sure, the integration of the alignment system into the battle system was kind of wacky (and a smidge unfair), and the difficulty was often cheap, but the story was a provocative look into the worst excesses of the human psyche, manifested as various surreal dungeons, and filled with the shocking,often gory moments that have become a hallmark of the SMT games. It is unfortunate, not to mention absurd, that Atlus has refused to provide an English dub for a game with characters of all nationalities and ethnicities, but it is hardly a deal breaker, and the extras - touched up graphics, a new route, a new character, a new dungeon, and new difficulties - make this pretty much an irresistible proposition for a JRPG whore such as myself.

Final Fantasy XV: Windows Edition (Steam)

As controversial as the original release of this game was, Hajime Tabata and his team at Square-Enix do deserve credit for striving to expand on both the narrative and the game mechanics. The game also has some top-tier husbando material in the form of Ignis and Gladiolus, what can I say? I'm looking forward to experiencing this in glorious HD, remastered lighting and effects and all - no 4K for me thanks, 100 GB is going to be killer on both my HDD and internet connection, never mind 155 GB! Whether it is ultimately deemed as an abject failure or a legendary opus magnum by critical and popular consensus, one thing still remains true - a mainline Final Fantasy game is not to be ignored.

Comment with Facebook


No comments :

Post a Comment